Monday, April 1, 2013

"A"nnnnnnnnd, Here we go!

Hello! Welcome to the kick off of the A to Z Challenge!! Like any semi-dedicated blogger, I thought long and hard about my A to Z theme, made a neat little announcement, thought about the theme, panicked like crazy and threw the whole thing out in search of something better.

I was going to focus on the new city I'm living in--Portland, OR, A to Z, then I felt all pressured and then I started sweating and when I sweat I get angry. While I was angry I thought about what makes me happy and how people have often asked me if I'm on medication due to my apparent happiness.

In case you are wondering, the answer is "no", I am not on medication. I was even one of those granola moms who skipped out on the whole epidural section in birthing class--and then regretted it will all my heart. So now, I'm what I call  mediflexible--'cause ya know, stuff happens.

Before I jump into this year's theme, I'd like to say thank you and Happy happy birthday to the amazing Arlee Bird who is kind and wonderful and one of our A to Z hosts. Happy birthday, Arlee!!!

Now, on to this year's theme: OK, so let's review, I was angry about being sweaty about being the new kid in town and therefore unqualified to offer anything new or inventive when it comes to Portland. This got me thinking about how happy I've been here---and how unhappy--and happiness, or joy,  is a VERY BIG DEAL to me, because I pretty much think it's why we're here. So welcome to Joy: A to Z.

Joy. The definition is: the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation.

Now, this all sounds good, and I've never met a person who was all like, "Nah....no more joy for me. I'm all full up." My journey over the next 26 days is well, really just that, a journey. It's not meant to be a comprehensive list of how to get joy or even maintain it, but rather ways I've found joy in my daily life and journey.

I hope you enjoy the ride. Thanks for stopping by.

And yes, I'm cheating. I'm really starting tomorrow with B. See you then mes amis!!

58 comments:

  1. Excellent topic! One that's close to my own heart for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your lovely name, it's no wonder!! :)

      Delete
  2. Great theme. You'll be bursting with joy by the time you reach Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully--OR, I will want to punch someone in the face....;)

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! Spread the joy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, it's a good post anyway!
    Welcome aboard! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hey Anjali!! Nice to see you around darling!! xoxo

      Delete
  5. What a great theme! Will definitely be back to get my daily dose of joy!

    (Grover at Inane Ramblings)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can all use more joy in our lives. I love that you're bending the rules a bit by starting with B--you rebel, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? All I could come up with for A was "accent"--I have NO idea what I'm going to do when I get to X...:)

      Delete
  7. Good luck! I was going to so an A to Z about the historic spots in my town, but got distracted by March. March is very distracting. Joy, however, is a great theme. I think we don't focus enough of our attention on the joyful aspects of our lives. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Heather! March is VERY distracting!!

      Delete
  8. Beethoven would agree: Joyful, Joyful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. booooo joy!

    Kidding :). It's an excellent theme, and I look forward to reading more. Good to see you again for A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful theme!

    Dana, following from The Daily Dose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wot? You're cheating already? And it's only A??? No wonder you're all joyful, cheating like a mad cheater you are, spreading joy around Portland and environs like a joyful bumblebee.

    Spread some my way, sistah!

    By the way, are all houses made of Portland Cement in Portland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they are made of Portland cement!!!! ....(I have no idea...;) And yes, I am a cheat cheat CHEATER!!! Ask Mountain Man, I'm shameless. Seriously, I'm pathetic. I cheat at cards, chess, Monopoly and now that A to Z/B to Z challenge!! Ain't it grand???? :)

      Delete
  12. I was thinking about making Misery my theme... you know, to counteract all that joy-stuff. Whaddya think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it. But you have to post that zombie picture from FB the other day as your new profile pic...:)

      Delete
  13. I love your theme! Looking forward to reading some of your blog posts. I'm sure they'll be creative and full of joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon Broadhead! Thanks for stopping by! xoxoxoox

      Delete
  14. A fellow Oregonian. :) I moved to Portland in May of 1998 and never want to leave Oregon. We now live on the dry side of the Cascades, and I never want to leave here. Great to meet you! Happy A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you!! I don't seem to mind the wet side at all---for now. ;) Good luck!

      Delete
  15. will be coming by to read all your B-Z posts. joy is a great theme and it's always fun to drop by your blog. I always get a kick reading whatever you post.

    I'm also sort of unofficially doing A-Z challenge but probably will stray a bit toward the end. it's so easy to say you're doing it than actually doing it.

    hope you have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lissa, it is lovely to see you! I can't wait to see your posts too!! xo!

      Delete
  16. you afre doing it on joy - well impressed that you can sustain a whole challenge on a narrow theme like that. I would fail miserably.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's TOTALLY not so bad if you make up your own rules, and break them a lot. :)

      Delete
  17. Awesome topic! I'm amazed by all of the happy topics that people are using and that makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing. There is much joy to be had. :)

      Delete
  18. Awesome...joy! This challenge is where I met you, as I got to know so many signs!!! JOY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY Andrea!!!! Our one year anniversary of meeting!! L) xoxoxo

      Delete
  19. Good to know where I can come to get my daily fix of joy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a surprise that YOU would write about joy. (Not.) Love you, joyful friend. Can't wait to hear your wisdom on the topic for the next 26 days.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH JOY! yep will have some of that! ;)
    Enjoy the AtoZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lisa, That post made me laugh. You sure your "A" word wasn't "addled"? LOL...just kidding.

    The Write Soil

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm looking forward to more joy today! How wonderful to see new work! I love that you are being so original. This is my first visit to your blog. Please visit ours at http://citymusecountrymuse2012.blogspot.com/ and please sign up to become a member if you like what you see!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You ended at the start with «amis». Good literary convention.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not really cheating, I don't think - there were a fair few words starting with A on this post :)

    ReplyDelete