Thursday, April 4, 2013

Joyride A to Z: Divinity

I'm not talking about that weird fluffy cloud of white candy that people in my neck of the woods make at Christmas time. I'm talking about the Divine.

God? Nope...well...yes.

I'm talking about you, me, your boss (yes, that passive-aggressive freakshow), and even the bad driver who keeps cutting you off in traffic.

Human beings in all our frailty, are not just touched by divinity, we are the Divine.

Often, in our society, we delineate some humans as divine, and others not so much. We consider a person "holy" who helps the poor and a person "unholy" who shows selfishness. There are a thousand other instances where we define people as divine, and others as not.

This is our great mistake.

It's foolish to imagine that one person is ever superior to another. The meth-addict, the prostitute, the hateful, the wise, the kind, the compassionate--even the angels among us--are all the Divine creating, learning, being and experiencing. There is no one but the Divine.

Every atom of existence is sacred, as is every person. We'd like to pick and choose--trust me, I could name five people right now who I think are not so divine.

However, they are.

In the words of Wordsworth, "But trailing clouds of glory, do we come." This temporal and temporary ('cause everythings-a-changing-alllll-the-time) is fractured divinity. Individually we work out our self discovery and personal evolution. Through this self discovery we discern our divine nature and become our whole selves.

And what of those who don't?

What people choose to do with their time is their own business--even when it directly affects me and my life. Of course, it's not my place to judge what kind of suffering they inflict, (and it is absolutely my place to remove myself from any intended or perceived harm) but it behooves me to attempt to understand what causes their behavior--even if I want to punch them in the face.

So, I truly believe that it's still possible to recognize and honor their divinity because without exception, each person, whatever their existence, is a manifestation of the Divine.

I simply haven't expanded my understanding enough to perceive every one's divinity...yet.


Recognizing the Divine in all people brings me joy. What brings you joy?



34 comments:

  1. Your posts are very inspiring! I'm enjoying them.
    Dani @ Entertaining Interests
    #warriorminion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa. It is always a good thing to be reminded who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a profound point. Well said! (Happy A to Z!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not always an easy thing to do. I think some people have lost sight of their own divinity, that's why they're so mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "it behooves me to attempt to understand what causes their behavior--even if I want to punch them in the face..." <--- THIS. You should totally publish your pov in book form. You'd be rich!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why punch in the face when you can punch in the throat!? http://www.peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat.com/

    On another note, thinking the Divine IS/AS physical will always lead disappointment, confusion, etc. That's where ALL error lies. Learn to see beyond the body and then you will see AND experience the Light. http://acim.org/

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! I followed you last year with the A to Z challenge and am dropping by again. HELLOOOOO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find divinity in bringing order from chaos.

    Found you via the A to Z challenge.
    http://www.tonynoland.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess that's what happens when you start seeing others as two dimensional characters instead of complicated creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great points!

    Blogging A to Z Challenge http://www.shellygoodmanwright.com/apps/blog/show/25373502-d-is-for-distractions

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right; we are all created in God's image so we do all have divinity in our dna; some of us have just forgotten it and some of us have forgotten and are choosing to take us to places where it would be hard to find again (but not impossible). It is difficult for me, to still see the divine in some people, people who inflict harm on others or who are mean to children; however, they still have divine inside of them; they've just lost sight of it. It's a gift to see the divine in everyone; something to be aware of. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You, my dear, are divine! Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for making me think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully written!!
    Connie
    Checkin' in from the A to Z Challenge.
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are many people who I would like to put on the "less than Divine" list, but you're right. We're all here for a reason and its a miracle just to be born, to live, just to be. I may not like it, but they are my equals, and I would be no better than the names I would like to call them if I did not accept that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful, thought-provoking, inspirational post. The fact that you quoted Wordsworth is just icing. :)
    Actually, as I was reading, the poet who came to my mind was Gerard Manley Hopkins, and it made me think of divinity as something that will "flame out, like shining from shook foil" from all of us.
    I'm your newest subscriber--don't want to miss even one of these delicious posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No one is particularly an 'angel' or an 'evil'...totally agree with you :)
    Divine is us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to think about this some more. Basically, I agree with you, both about our divinity, and the need to see the same in others. We are conditioned to see the world differently from that, which is think is very sad.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete