Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Joyride A to Z: Integrity

Growing up, I always equated the word integrity with honesty. Of course, honesty is a huge part of integrity, but it wasn't until I read a book by Rabbi Harold Kushner that I felt like I really understood the meaning of personal "integrity".

"Integrity means being whole, unbroken, undivided. It describes a person who has united the different parts of his or her personality, so that there is no longer a split within the soul."

I am a wild child.

I always have been. I've been told to "Just try and fit in." But I can't. I just see things differently than the culture I was raised in. The wildness in me wants to push back, do things differently, think other ways, maybe to come to the conclusion the rest of the pack has arrived at, or maybe not. Many people in my culture have tried to shame my wildness and from time to time, I've listened to the critics and my heart broke--and it broke because I was denying the very wildness that God put inside of me.

Last summer, I had a profound experience (which I won't go into here) and I finally "got it". I wasn't supposed to deny that wildness. I was supposed to embrace it. God put that wildness in my heart. And the wildness is the thing that allows me to be empathetic to others who feel like they don't fit in.

Just as the integrity of a ship is dependent on its hull being water tight, the integrity of my spirit means that I must embrace all those parts of myself that I would disown--usually because society tells me they aren't feminine. When I can value what being "bitchy" or bold has to teach me, then I can watch in awe as those gifts open up new paths to courage and compassion within my life.

God, the Universe, Source, (whatever you want to call it) dwells within us, as us. As YOU. As children, most of us are raised to believe that we have to make some cosmic transformation in order to be "accepted". The truth is, we don't need to change our personalities in order to connect with God. All we need to do connect to the Divine is to be our beautiful, glorious selves.

This isn't to say that we won't be tossed and turned and tumbled and humbled. Sometimes our tumbling will be the consequence of our own choosing. Other times it may come at the hands of others through judgement and unkindness. Still other times (as difficult as it may sound) our tumbling may come as a result of God wanting for us to learn a specific lesson. And the lesson will always provide us the opportunity (if we choose to seek it) to experience more love.

Sealing the split within ourselves and regaining our personal integrity only happens when we are authentic, honest and open with our own hearts. Living our integrity means we may make some people around us unhappy. But ultimately, living with integrity means that we get to cast off the shackles of other people's opinions of us (good and bad) and enjoy being ourselves, whole and undivided.

Only then can we have true joy.


Living with integrity brings me joy. What brings you joy?  

"People follow different paths, straight or crooked, according to their temperament, depending on which they consider best, or most appropriate--and all reach You--just as rivers enter the ocean."
                                                                                                               ~the Upanishads

"Our whole business in this life is to restore to health the eye of the heart whereby God may be seen."
                                                                                                               ~Saint Augustine

29 comments:

  1. I read and have a copy of Kushner's "When Bad Things Happen to Good People." It was given to me twenty years ago, I read it, got angry, and then life made me take it up again, and I really identified with so many things he says in that book. A main point being how people don't realize how insensitive they can be in their attempts to make everything (even heinous or tragic, heartbreaking, life-destroying events) fit into God's great plan. Everything happens for a reason? I don't think so. No. That's why it's tragic.

    Anyhoo, I am glad you found acceptance within yourself for yourself in a world that tries to make us conform to the comfortable standard of clones. It's sad how much the world tries to force that, and when you allow yourself to be yourself, and that's okay, well, how very liberating that is.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning it, but it is liberating.

      Delete
  2. There are times I feel like and am convinced I am a goat. I am so far from the Ideal Molly I am convinced I am supposed to be striving to become.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're a goat, I'll be one too! :)

      Delete
  3. I think what brings me joy depends on the time of day. No one thing does it. However, I can see your point in integrity and appreciate your spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm as changeable as the wind--other things strike me as joyful at different times. I'm a work in progress. :)

      Delete
  4. interesting reflections...and quotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think being described as a person of integrity is one of the best compliments that can be received.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to struggle with people telling me to try to 'fit in', but when I tried it never felt right and I always failed. Being yourself and doing what feels right in your heart is the best way. And if some people don't like it, that's ok because plenty of others do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous! Thank you for bringing such joy this month (and always for that matter) The quotes have been so new and different to me, and such positive energy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Integrity and being personally integrated. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Post. We all could use integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of things bring me joy. I loved this post! It was a JOY to read it. Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good post--glad you're sticking with your integrity.
    A to Z'er, Jagoda from http://www.conflicttango.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Integrity is a big thing to try and keep. I know I've struggled against society too. But, like you, I'm honestly happier when I'm being who I am and not what other people say I should be. Keep on going! The world doesn't know what's best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Imogen! Let's stick together! ;)

      Delete
  13. Interesting, I've always considered integrity as being true to yourself, whatever that may entail.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lisa, you speak to my heart - With integrity comes trust, but occasionally you have to betray other people, in order to not betray yourself - *sings* 'You're a real wild child' - with an added bonus of empathy. I loved reading this. From your snaggle toothed follower, What a Joy to have bet you here :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living with integrity brings meaning to life. :)

    - Fellow blogger from A to Z!

    ReplyDelete