Friday, April 12, 2013

Joyride A to Z: Kindness

Today, I went to the grocery store. Going to the grocery store is something akin to amputating my own toes with a butter knife, meaning: I'd just rather not.

Anyway, I was making my way merrily through the store and ended up at a checker who only had one soul in line and lucky me, wouldn't you know it? They only had a gallon of milk and a Twix bar! "Look at my luck!" I thought. I loaded the contents of my cart on the conveyor and waited. The cashier started checking my groceries and then pointed above his head and said, "Ma'am, this is an express lane."

DANG.

What the what? Talk about rude.

Of course, I wasn't paying attention. I stumbled through a loud and open ended apology to the now long line formed behind my mountain of groceries. "I'M SO SORRY! I JUST MOVED HERE AND I DIDN'T KNOW THIS WAS THE EXPRESS LINE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME--I DIDN'T MEAN TO BE SO RUDE!"

Two teenage boys stood patiently behind me buying roses for their girlfriends. One of them said, as he turned to the line behind waiting behind him, "No worries, stuff like this happens, right, people?"

It was so very kind.

Kindness, whether it's received or given, brings me joy. What brings you joy?  

27 comments:

  1. This reminded me of the movie, "You've Got Mail." I can totally relate to your dislike of grocery shopping. I loved the description! ;)

    Happy K day and may it be filled with many kindnesses!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very kind of them. I like it when somebody notices I have fewer stuff than them and lets me get in line before them. It's really considerate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple acts of kindness help a lot of people. I wish we could do more of them. They do help others get through their days.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no worries. We've all been through that same mortification.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, chivalrous boys buying roses! Bless their hearts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh...they were buying flowers to ask the girlfriends to prom...:)

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely story. I don't know if many teen boys here would do the same, but I'm so glad that those teens were so kind. Everyone makes mistakes and it's nice when others understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that! Fabulous story, so glad it happened to you. But we need to talk about this disdain for grocery shopping... grocery shopping is FUN (mostly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you are CRA-ZAY! Although I'd give it a go with you--at a Whole Foods....;)

      Delete
  8. At Wendy's I asked for a senior discount--I'm 69 and look my age. The cashier, clearly a teenager, asked me to show my ID to prove I qualified. I laughed and thanked him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is the best story I've heard today!!! :)

      Delete
  9. Great story! And a lovely ending to it. I'm sure loads of people make the same mistake, and when others have patience and a good nature it always makes you feel happy!

    Visiting from the A-Z Challenge. You have a lovely blog; I'll definitely be dropping by again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kindness from teenagers! What a lovely moment to share. Thanks for stopping by our blog today. If you want to know more about meat-jello, here's a link to a particularly fascinating conversation about it http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,164377,164406

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't wait to read more about it!

      Delete
  11. We must be in each other's heads with our K posts. Had to smile. Glad the boys with the roses smoothed the situation over.
    A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love going to the grocery store...so many possibilities, so many choices. It is when I get home and my bags of products still do not yield a magical meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hear ya...it makes me tired. ;)

      Delete
  13. Wonderful! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I've imitated you over at GlidingAlong!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to work at a grocery store we could tell people it was an express if there was a line..and unloading hadnt started ;-) but if there was no line we most certainly took full carts! ;-

    Visiting from AtoZ. You have a nice blog here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhh, and kindness from teenagers, is the best kind of "kindness"! I love this little story.

    ReplyDelete