Saturday, April 13, 2013

Joyride, A to Z: Let it Go

Life is like a river.

It flows downstream all the time.
At birth, we put our figurative canoes in the river and go with the flow.
As we get older, we begin to choose thoughts that fight against the current. Sometimes we hang onto jobs, places, or people even though our life is calling us to something greater. Often, the current of the river will make us let go of the things that are keeping us from evolving.
But not after we fight and fight and fight.

Fighting makes me tired. With the last two years under my belt, I've had to learn to let go. Hanging on caused me uphappiness. Letting go turned me downstream in my canoe and I am learning to go with the flow. Going with the flow means that I choose any thought that causes relief.

The problem is, is that I'm really adept at paddling my canoe upstream--like I've got Arnold-pre-govenor-still-the-Terminator-Schwarzenegger-like muscles. Seriously, it may be the only part of me that's in shape. I'm so adept at paddling upstream that sometimes I don't even realize how hard I'm working.

But here's the reality: Letting go feels good. Letting go allows me to stop being beaten against the boulders in the river. Letting go means I can lean back and enjoy the ride instead of paddling upstream with all my might.

Our society tells us that paddling upstream is the norm. But it's not. Paddling upstream is what we've inherited from our collective belief that "doing" is better. Doing is fine, but being is better. Allowing is better. Loving is better. Feeling peace, happiness, and joy are better.

Letting go is better. The River has got us. All we need to do is enjoy the ride.


Letting go brings me joy. What brings you joy today?



28 comments:

  1. With you, I do not think paddling upstream is a very bright idea. Even if we are tempted to do so. "Be still and know that I am God," writes the psalmist. I think stillness would be really helpful, if we made time for it. It would feed our Being.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major rivers that run dry and do not reach the sea anymore during the dry season include the (1) Colorado in the southwestern United States, (2) Rio Grande along the border between Texas and Mexico, (3) Yellow River in the Northern China, (4) Nile in the middle east (5) Ganges and Indus in South Asia, and (6) Amu Darya and Syr Darya in five countries that were part of the Soviet Union.

    I love the poem. I just thought I'd like to point out how the world has changed. Saying life is like a river is pretty depressing to me, since humans are a plague of locusts destroying the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Michael! Don't! There's so much beauty out there--look at beautiful you. You bring me joy just by stopping by and I am so grateful!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks! Needed that :-)


    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Lisa, once again we seem to be on the same wavelength of thoughts and epiphanies. I'm in PDX for a few days, maybe I'll send you an e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do!!! I would love to meet you!!! squaretoothedgirl@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I am afraid that if I don't paddle I will go over the falls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no falls! Only currents, and the river won't ever let drown! :)

      Delete
  6. "Doing is fine, being is better." Awesome, and so true. And so hard.

    I am thankful your canoe floated near my canoe in the past year. My life is better because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I ned to take my advice too! ;)

      Delete
  8. The biggest problem I need to overcome is the fear of drowning if I let go. Good advice

    ReplyDelete
  9. The biggest problem I need to overcome is the fear of drowning if I let go. Good advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not going to drown!!! He's got you! :)

      Delete
  10. I've always known where my river is heading (knowing = hoping, to be honest) and somehow to flow is keeping me on track. My problem is trying not to get blown off course by other influences! A great analogy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to watch out for being blown off track too!!

      Delete
  11. I'm actually very good at letting go and going with the flow, probably more than I should be at times. But hey, it makes me happy :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the image of your over-sized paddling muscles that fight against the flow of the stream. It happens. And, what a relief to surrender to the current, to embrace the direction of the waters, and be free to experience it.
    Go. Create. Inspire!
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Sweet relief comes when I surrender! :)

      Delete
  13. This is a very beautiful post and it really touched me. Thank you for that. Your words are really true and at least you have those Schwarzenegger muscles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raaaaaaaaarh!!! (That's me flexing my big Arnold muscles...;)

      Delete
  14. Letting go is vital to going forward. Be like the water in the river, gentle at times, swift and powerful at others, a Tao saying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have nominated you for the Liebster award for blogging. You can pick up your award and the rules at my website.

    ReplyDelete