Thursday, April 18, 2013

Joyride, A to Z: People

When I was in my early twenties, I worked as a full time volunteer for my church for eighteen months. During this time, I once estimated that I talked to roughly 10,000 people.

I met a lot of people. A LOT.

Fat, short, thin, balding, same, different, religious, not, nice, mean, funky, strange, drugged, homeless, gay, straight, orange--you name it-- I've met them. Volunteering eighty hours a week and talking with literally thousands of people in such a concentrated period of time, I learned one beautiful thing: People are amazing.

People make our world the wonder that it is.

Alas, this week we've also been reminded that people can produce darkness that is beyond comprehension.

Recently, I was told that I, "Just haven't been peaceful"--like it was a bad thing. I suppose for this person, who loves me, it was.

I responded, "How can I know true peace unless there's an absence of it from time to time?"

Often, people often do things to us (or near us) that produce feelings of negativity in our lives. That lady who cuts me off in traffic, the guy who yells at his kids, and even individuals who plan deliberate violence against innocents can and do effect our lives in quantifiable ways that often will lead us through the uncharted waters of our spirits. We may not make it through without help; but eventually, we will make it through.
And do you know why?

Because of people. Lovely, amazing and beautiful people will run to us, hands outstretched, willing to lift us up and even carry us to safety if need be.

As Gandhi said, "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

People have such great capacity for love, understanding, compassion and kindness.
Humanity is vast and glorious, confusing and profane; yet even as one causes harm, hundreds of others are reaching out to help and comfort.


People bring me joy. Who brought you joy today?








23 comments:

  1. This post brought me Joy today, Lisa. Thank you for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful post. I just loved it and wanted you to know. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. This post brought me joy, too. So well-said, Mizz Lisa. That Ghandi-guy was a smart dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Ghandi quote. Must remember that the next time I watch the news. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bring me Joy, you amazing person, you! :) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back atcha my darling darling friend!!! P.S. I'm working on a letter for you, will send it soon! :)

      Delete
  6. Fabulous words from you and quotes once again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the post. Love the Gandhi quote. Love the picture. These words were so uplifting to me today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for swinging by!

      Delete
  8. What a perfect quote and poster.

    Seeing my faraway grandson crawling; Skype is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing a faraway grandson is the perfect gift!

      Delete
  9. OK, I'm in a better place than when I left the comment on your FB post... people can be quite lovely, indeed. You are one of those lovelies, thanks for being you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad. I've been thinking of you all day. You know what this means, right? Time to take a time out in PDX. :)

      Delete
  10. There are a lot of times where I say that I hate people. That's not really true. It has more to do with not wanting to be around negative people who bring me negative emotions, but I don't even hate them. I try not to hate anyone.

    You actually reminded me of my post for N. I don't want to be one of those people who is like "oh check out my blog!" but I think you might enjoy the story. I won't feel bad if you don't check it out so don't worry about that or feel like you have to. =) http://when-a-lion-sleeps.blogspot.com/2013/04/n-is-for-nice-ladies-and-that-one-guy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel! I read your N post and I loved it! I left a comment on your blog too. What a loely gift to have so many people help and comfort you in a time of need. xo!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful, as always! You are one of those people who heal the pain in others, often unconsciously, through what you share so openly about yourself and the laughter that so often flows from your your lips (and fingertips)! Your posts are always a JOY to read!

    ReplyDelete