Saturday, April 20, 2013

Joyride, A to Z: Receiving

Receiving is an art. I've only met a few women in my life who do it really well.

A few years ago, I was standing in line in a grocery store and in front of me was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She was in her mid-fifties, had beautiful white hair, and lots of laugh lines. She radiated a sense of calm and peace. As often is my case, I started speaking before thinking and I said, "Ma'am, I have to tell you, you are so beautiful!"

She turned to me and said, "Oh my goodness, no I'm not."

On the other hand, I have a friend who is just as beautiful in every way and when you pay her a compliment, she kindly says, "Thank you so much!! You just made my day!!"

She has mastered the art of receiving--receiving a compliment sure, but whether it is a compliment or something bigger, it doesn't matter because the principle is the same: She knows how to receive.

Receiving is about having an open heart--open enough to allow others to help, comfort, care and love. Receiving is about believing that you are worthy to be the recipient of another's kindness, another's love and another's care.

Receiving is the most graceful act we can learn in this life. Being a fellow human being is no small thing, and each of us have the privilege to give, and to receive, the loving kindness of others during our sojourn here on earth.

You may be asking yourself, "How can I receive?"
I say, start small. If someone pays you a compliment, simply say, "Thank you." If your neighbor brings you dinner out of the blue say, "Thank you." If someone cashes in their winning lottery ticket and gives you half, say, "Thank you." (And then buy them a Rolls Royce.)

If at first you don't feel worthy to receive the gift they've given you, that's o.k.--but try to make a little room for that gift to grow in your heart. Try to believe.

Then, and only then, can you receive.

Being a gracious receiver brings me joy. What brings you joy today?

30 comments:

  1. I agree that being able to receive is so important. Learning how can open the door to building self confidence like you wouldn't believe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Receiving is a huge part of that for sure!!

      Delete
  2. Totally agree, although sometimes it is easier said than done. Being able to receive is also a great gift to the person doing the giving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I think that's why receiving is such a big deal. It effects the giver and the receiver.

      Delete
  3. I'm getting better, but my 'thank yous' never sound very sincere. I do want to be sincere... I'll practise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If in doubt, or uncomfortable, I kind of turn it on the giver with a "That is so very kind of you to say!" ;) It sounds sincere and not narcissistic...:)

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, I need to work on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I've gotten better about it, but I still have some room for growth.

    Hi from Nagzilla bloghopping A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to be a work in progress. :)

      Delete
  6. I think it's because we're not taught how to receive graciously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. In other news, last night I used your, "I'm heteroflexible" line--it got laughs all around--thanks for making me look good. ;)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this. Eloquently written, and the example hit home. I have a hard time receiving compliments and usually change the subject or mumble embarrassed thanks. I hope you will bask in the glow of your fellow bloggers' praise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do and I am! Thank you for your kindness! :)

      Delete
  8. Learning to be a gracious received brings me joy. It's been a tough lesson to learn.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been working on this, and feel like I've gotten better the past few years. Feel free to give me a compliment so that I can practice more! ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a fabulous human being and I'm so glad I get to ve your friend in real life!!! :) xo!

      Delete
  10. This makes me think of my wife when I tell her how beautiful she is and she'll almost always counter with a denial. I've told her many times not to reject a compliment as I do think she's beautiful. I like to receive compliments and try to be gracious when I am complimented. But I guess sometimes it can be awkward coming from someone you don't know. And I guess it depends on what they're complimenting me about.

    But yeah, if somebody gives me something--a compliment or anything else--I guess it compliments them to be gracious in the act of receiving.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tough thing to do, but the more you receive the easier it is to receive a compliment graciously for sure.

      Delete
  11. Something I need to work on alot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, well said. I know this is something I should be better about. It's just so hard sometimes to accept that nice things others say might be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all works in progress and that's the fun in living. :)

      Delete
  13. Receiving...I fail at this so often. Your friend has a true gift there. I'm always so embarrassed by compliments. It's like, how can I actually be worthy of those compliments? It's something I'm working on, but it's taking it's own sweet time sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you ARE worthy! That's the receiving part--believing that you are worthy to receive. It just takes a shift in thinking, and once it's done, you won't ever be the same again. :)

      Delete
  14. I'm not very good at receiving. I can usually receive compliments, but I feel like I mainly accept them because I had a friend who would argue every single little compliment given to her, and I found that incredibly annoying after a while. Sometimes I can receive a gift but I always feel I need to give more than I receive. My mom used to say that it was the spirit of Christmas, even when it wasn't Christmas. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all works in progress--and I think it's wonderful that you can take a compliment--I also think learning from how others respond to gifts or compliments is important. I like to take what I like and leave the rest. :)

      Delete
  15. This is a great post, Lisa! I have become better at receiving than I ever was before. I accept compliments with a simple "Thank you" even thought there is still that part of me that doesn't believe any of the ones I do get. It's definitely something I would love to get so much better at, and maybe by becoming a better recipient, I will believe it all someday.

    ReplyDelete