Monday, April 22, 2013

Joyride, A to Z: Sassy

Being sassy may seem like a strange addition to my Joyride theme this month, but let me explain:

Part of living with authenticity and joy is to be yourself. I learned a long time ago that I'm just sassy. Sometimes, I say or do things to ilicit a reaction in others, or to bring attention to a point of view that may have not been considered before (namely, mine). Other times, my sassiness just bubbles up like magma from the depth of me and I can't stop it. It's like watching a train wreck.
 
There are three definitions to the word 'sassy'. They are: rude & disrespectful, lively & spirited, and stylish & chic. I like to believe that I am all three. But the reality is is that I am probably just rude and spirited.  I've always been sassy. I think I inherited it from my Grandmother. She built airplanes during WW II and had a lot of sass.

Knowing my parent's sassiness limit was important to my safety and well being as a kid.
Too sassy, and I got a smack bottom. Not sassy enough, then I felt like I was being untrue to myself.
It's always been a precarious line.

On the other hand, embracing my inner sass helps my live an authentic life. It's who I am. Some of my personal examples of sassiness include:
  • Name calling (but only to those who deserve it, like mean people.)
  • Mouthiness (like when I told my Grandmother that she smelled...but she did.)
  • A high confidence that you can talk anyone into anything--like the time I yelled at a passing truck and the driver hit the brakes, got out and came after me. (Like any truly sassy person, I ran away. To be fair, he may have been a zombie.)
  • Believing in your Gawd-given talent for reading people and placing bets in absolutely inappropriate moments. The story to prove this point is so bad I can't even relate it here for fear of your judgement (which would be well deserved)--and the fact that I lost the bet (which shames me still) and don't want to remind my brother, Scott, that I owe him lunch...dang. Now he remembers.
  • Independence--like shaving your head at 32 and going grey just to defy cultural norms.
  • Brash boldness (or brazen stupidity)--like the time I followed a complete stranger off of a train in Prague--he said he had the hookup for a cheap youth hostel. Lucky for us it all turned out OK. In hindsight that was just a cold case waiting to happen.
There are a million other instances of my impudent sass gone awry...most of which I can't share here because I don't want you asking me about them. My sass filled life is one of constant embarrassment to my family.

Also, being sassy is a terrifying way of life. I have a completely unnatural amount of confidence. Take this morning, I was listening to an NPR story about competing in the Iron Man Triathlon. During one point in the broadcast I (seriously) thought, "I could do that." If you know me in person, then you are laughing out loud this very moment.

Shut up.

I can hear you.

You will regret your insolence.

(See what I mean??)

I also often say things before thinking. Things like, "SURE!! I'd LOVE to chair the school auction!!" Or, "My dad could TOTALLY beat your dad's face in!!!" (Which, to be honest, was true. But it wasn't necessary to say out loud--mostly because one look from my dad made other dads run away in fear...)

Simply put, being sassy gets me into a lot of trouble.
On the other hand, sassiness has it's upside, life is always an adventure.


Being sassy brings me joy. In what ways are you sassy?

5 comments:

  1. My daughter's third grade teacher called her sassy molassey...and he meant it in a good way, and it was spot on, so this is near and dear to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious and true. I often say things like "shut up" and "bite me" AT WORK. I know, I should be fired. But it works to just keep things real, in my humble opinion.

    (I am mostly appropriate, I feel the urge to say. Mostly.)

    You and your sass bring me joy.

    Oh, and I have to add in the spirit of A-Z, I'm your newest follower. I thought it was about time, given that I don't miss. A. Single. Post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sassiness is an essential ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, my mom and I took a stray cat to the animal shelter because he was starting to get too mean. While we were leaving, the guy there said, "Be good!" so I turned to my mom and said, "Funny how he says that and he doesn't even know you!" and the guy went, "Oh, I heard stories about her!"

    He was only kidding but I thought he was pretty sassy, and quite funny.

    ReplyDelete