Friday, April 26, 2013

Joyride, A to Z: Wonder

Deepening the Wonder
 
Death is a favor to us,
But our scales have lost their balance.

The impermanence of the body
Should give us great clarity,
Deepening the wonder in our senses and eyes
Of this mysterious existence we share
And are surely just traveling through.
 
If I were in the Tavern tonight,
Hafiz would call for drinks
And as the Master poured, I would be reminded
That all I know of life and myself is that
We are just a midair flight of golden wine
Between His Pitcher and His Cup.
 
If I were in the Tavern tonight,
I would buy freely for everyone in this world
Because our marriage with the Cruel Beauty
Of time and space cannot endure very long.

Death is a favor to us,
But our minds have lost their balance.
The miraculous existence and impermanence of
Form
Always makes the illumined ones
Laugh and sing.
 
~Hafiz
 
 
The wonder of life brings me joy. What brings you joy today?

9 comments:

  1. That's a nice poem. I often wonder that at the end of my life, I'll probably welcome death because I'll be so tired and so jaded with humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are days I feel that way too, Michael. I think it'a totally natural. And I also feel like there's a lot of good out there too.

      Delete
  2. Wonder is a great word. My joy today- it's Friday! :) I know not original- but what can i say- I'm easy to please. :)
    ~Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer, I couldn't agree more!!! Friday is one of those sacred days that I look forward to!!! :)

      Delete
  3. When Death comes, I hope I'm ready to say "okay, I've done it all here, ready for the next." Soothing poem. My patients bring me joy, especially the newborns, all soft and ready to experience life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Hafiz, very much. I think my favorite line is: That all I know of life and myself is that We are just a midair flight of golden wine
    Between His Pitcher and His Cup.

    That's just awesome imagery.

    And that he refers to himself in the third person? Bonus. Normally I don't let things like that slide, but, hello? It's Hafiz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The wonder of life brings me joy."
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful. I've never heard of Hafiz before, but everyone else seems to. I guess I was missing out!

    ReplyDelete