Monday, April 29, 2013

Joyride A to Z: You

Long, long ago, (about 10 years) in a galaxy far, far away (called Montana), I was walking on a local bike path when I came across this message:

 
 
These simple words gave me pause that day. They were a gift that made me happy. Those words made me believe that I was just what they said: beautiful. Those words were written by a well meaning stranger on a public bike path, and even though hundreds of people must have seen them, that day, those words were just for me.

I’ve thought about those words a lot since then, and about what those words mean. This 'beauty' I'm referring to doesn't concern the buckets we walk around in. The beauty I’m referring to is regarding the content of our spirits. Today, I want to give you what a stranger gave me and tell you a simple truth about yourself:

You are beautiful.

You are extraordinary.

You are unique in the world.

You are whole, just as you are. Right now.

You bring something to this planet that no one else can bring: yourself.
You are amazing.
You have a kind heart and a marvelous mind, even if you feel that your heart is broken or that your mind is filled with dark thoughts about yourself and others.
 
Most of the unhappiness on this planet is caused by unhappy people. We women, especially, feel terrified that we ‘aren’t enough’. And when we are terrified, we feel like we need to be in control of everything. And when we try to control everything, (as if that's actually possible) our control mutates into an unhealthy, and soul wrecking competition with others.

Today, you can let all that negativity go.

Today, instead of condemning yourself and those around you, you have the opportunity to exonerate those you influence with your undeniable beauty. You can cease to belittle yourself and others, and instead, delight in all the success you see. Today, you can take pause and feel the peace that comes with this beauty and then you can share it. You can let all the pain that you have been carrying about this and that go, because you can choose to. You can believe in yourself and get out of your own way, and be happy, because you are a spark of the Divine.

Today, you can believe that you are beautiful.

Because today, you are fearless.

The time for resignation is past. You are beautiful. When you let that beauty and all its attendant joy cascade from you, you give others the permission to do the same. Today, don’t shine less. Shine more.

Shine more, because,
You are beautiful.


You bring me joy. Thank you for being here. What brings you joy today?

13 comments:

  1. This is just what I needed today, Lisa. Thank you so much. I will read it over and over again because doing so brings me Joy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow is my husband's birthday. I find joy in every day I have with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost started crying when I read this, but in a good way, I promise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are beautiful, darling girl!! xo!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful selfless article. Inspiring, encouraging... ah so many positives to what this is. And looking at your picture there, you truly are beautiful - such warm eyes and friendly smile.

    Thank you so much for writing and sharing this article!!!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius, you. Especially this: And when we are terrified, we feel like we need to be in control of everything. And when we try to control everything, (as if that's actually possible) our control mutates into an unhealthy, and soul wrecking competition with others.

    Today I got an incredible amount of joy from checking things off my gigantic to-do list. And my noodle/peanut sauce supper. And Seth doing super-awesome on the ACTs. And my husband's smile. Thank you for prompting me to list those few of my many joys. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, thank you! :) For me joy today is in knowing I have accomplished SO much and am almost done with a huge project. Success is so motivating!
    tm

    PS Happy end to A to Z--hope you keep posting; I'll be watching! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great that those random chalkings can have such an impact. I've worked at colleges for 8 years now and you'd think I'd be immune since they are so popular on campus, but the nice ones can still make me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete