Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Joyride, A to Z: Zest

I believe in taking the characteristics of people's lives that work for me and incorporating them into mine. I'm a shameless imitator.

A long time ago, I met a woman who exuded zest for life. She greeted each person with love, warmth and enthusiasm. Being on the receiving end of such zest for life was intoxicating and I immediately tried to emulate her behavior, trying to make it my own.

Over the years, the zest for living that I copied as a teenager has become mine. "Fake it until you make it" has become my motto--and did you know there's even an actual word for that phrase? The word is praxes, or the habitual or established practice of something.

Living with zest means that, before I get out of bed in the morning, I choose to live with happiness, enthusiasm and curiosity--and just like adding the zest of a lemon to a recipe, it doesn't take a lot to live a zestful life. Smiling at a stranger, greeting people with joy, being a kind driver, these are just a few ways I try to incorporate zest into my life.

This isn't to say that I get it right all the time--because I fall short every day. However, I get to start fresh each morning and enjoy the wonder that comes with living zestfully, energetically and enthusiastically. No matter my frame of mind, time will pass. I would rather greet the day with gladness instead of gloom.

The courageous act of savoring daily life is the key to living fully and fearlessly right now. Life isn't made up of vacations or magnificent vistas. It is in the small things that happiness roots itself and takes bloom. Choosing to live with zest is a vital part of living deeply.

Living zestfully brings me joy. What brings you joy today?

Thank you to our amazing hosts of April's A to Z Challenge! And thank YOU for stopping by, commenting and bringing great joy to me this month!!  We made it!! (Whew!)

17 comments:

  1. Your joy and zest are almost overwhelming. I don't have the energy for zest, but I try to live each day with a good sense of humor. laugh through the good and bad and it'll all be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Sense of humor is key. I couldn't agree more!! xo!

      Delete
  2. Yes! Zest! Your challenge posts were fantastic this year! Congrats! (yes! that was a lot of exclamation points! but I really enjoy your words!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I use SOOOOO many exclamations points when I write emails that I always have to go back through them and edit. I love a good exclamation point!!!! (Or 3) :) Hee!

      Delete
  3. You really do have a lot of zest. It makes me think of having a spice for life, which only makes it better. After all, who wants to eat something bland and tasteless when you can add zest to it?

    Thank you for sharing so much with us this month. Your posts have really made a difference in the way that I think and I can't thank you enough. Congrats on getting through the Challenge. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To you too, Rachel!! I'm glad to have met you in the blogosphere! :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on finishing the challenge. I love your zest, and your posts have been so fun to read.
    tm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, and I feel the same about yours!xo!

      Delete
  5. great a-z posts, I read them though I've left very few comments but I enjoy reading them very much.

    hope you have a sweet May.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa,
    Thank you for your kind words on my W is for WUSC post. Your blog here is equally inspiring. Continue to live zestfully; it's truly the only way!
    Cheers from Brandy at http://brandysbustlings.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wrote a similar blog about choosing to be happy. It's so important to your well being!

    Ashlee / Ramblings of a Silly Girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many people miss the point, that you can choose to be happy, choose to be friendly, choose to have a great life. Good on you for realising it so early on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations on finishing the A-Z Lisa.
    I really love this post as it is a positive affirmation of what I try to do each day. My Hubby has an anxiety disorder, the main symptom of this (aside from the physical stuff) is negativity & self doubt. As you are probably aware it is easier to be negative than positive and you have to make a decision to be positive. He isnt able to do this but I am. Each day, when I wake up, I take a few moments to relax and let the joy in. I then face the day with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if you do the whole award thing, but you have one waiting for you on my blog. http://when-a-lion-sleeps.blogspot.com/2013/05/im-not-sure-what-happened.html =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to come over and see your take on zest; of course I love it! And not only did we both pick zest, but we both talked about exclamation marks too!!! What a hoot!

    Thanks for the encouragement to do the challenge. You rock, sistah! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. AND! I just nomiated you for a Liebster, over on the blog. You had better head on over and claim that before you get too many more followers and are no longer eligible! Ha. xoxo

    ReplyDelete