Thursday, September 5, 2013

Stuff I Learned in High School that I Probably Shouldn't Have

I was invited (I invited myself) to join a blogging challenge from a couple of my real life friends who are both FANTASTIC bloggers. Sherilee, over at Sweet Tea & Sunshine, and Jen, over at Stuff Jen Says both write amazing blogs that lift my spirit and fill my soul. They are writing every day in September to get back in the swing of things, so, like any annoying person who wants to hang with the cool kids, I totally invited myself along for the ride. Thanks, ladies!!

With all these children heading off to school this week, and my own child beginning high school this year, the topic of today's post was supposed to be, "Stuff School Didn't Teach Me"...but THAT post would be the length of a Bible, so I'm going to tweak the topic a little to: Stuff I Learned in High School that I Probably Shouldn't Have Learned, But Did Anyway.

Here are a few things I learned in high school that I probably shouldn't have, but I did anyway:

1. I learned how to forge my mother's signature.
I skipped class a lot. (Like so much, I'm not really sure how I actually graduated.) I did this with a complicit father who was a chronic school skipper in his day, and with a signature EXACTLY like my mother's. You may think that at 39 that there would be no need to sign my mom's name, but you'd be gravely mistaken. Now I benefit from running to the store with her credit card when I'm visiting home and signing her name to perfection.

Don't ask to see my I.D. though, we don't look anything alike.

2. I learned how to sneak out.
Ok, I'm going to be honest, I didn't really sneak out in high school--but that's not for lack of trying. There was just no need. I also didn't have a curfew. None. Nada. Our only rule growing up was to, "Watch out for cars" and "Check in when you get home." This never got us into trouble. My parents trusted us implicitly and, well, we were perfect angels.

3. I learned how to lie.
"We were perfect angels." See?

And yes, my pants are on fire.


What did you learn in high school that you really shouldn't have?

19 comments:

  1. We never had a curfew growing up either, so the whole "sneaking out of the house" thing wasn't something I ever tried. As long as my parents knew who we were with and where we were going, they were fine with no curfew. It doesn't hurt that I was terrified of my dad growing up. Kept us all right in line for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may have actually had the SAME father, Mary. Yours sounds exactly like mine!

      Delete
  2. Most important lesson ever: Easier to ask forgiveness then ask permission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That people lie. And that teachers don't know everything, even in the subject they are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both true...the first is more unfortunate than the second...

      Delete
  4. I think there might have been more things I didn't learn but should have! Hmmm, let's see, I recall learning that you can drink enough peppermint schnapps to feel tipsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep giggling now. Better put that fire out though. I heard that fire burns, but I was told that when I was a little kid.

    I learned that I don't have to sneak out. Whenever I wanted to go somewhere, I just had to say so and make sure I had a ride...and it was to work 99% of the time. I only just started going out to movies at night, maybe once a month, with a bunch of coworkers. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So awesome. And too bad. Don't you feel like we both missed out on some sneaking out adventure? ;)

      Delete
  6. I learned that mom is always right. When she told me no, there was always a good reason for it, as I would only find out about it later on, when I already did something I shouldn't have. Like sneak off with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murees, I totally agree. My mom is a shaman and should be heeded! :)

      Delete
  7. I learned that the people I am going to cherish the most in my life are going to usually look very different from me on the outside. But the inside is a whole other story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that. I really love that. And you. :)

      Delete
  8. Man, I wish I had known you in high school. It's obvious you would have expanded my horizons exponentially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with all my sneaking out, lying ways. Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?? ;) xo!

      Delete
  9. I learned how to sneak into movie theatres! Only did it once though, I couldn't handle the stress of wondering if we'd get caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of like you--that's probably why I didn't have curfews...:)

      Delete
  10. I learned that my parents knew exactly what my brothers and I were doing. Nothing surprised them; they had done all that stuff themselves.

    ReplyDelete