Sunday, September 29, 2013

What's Your Favorite Space?

I've been spending a lot of time in my house lately. The kids are back in school and I'm FINALLY moved in all the way. Well, that may be an outright lie--what I really mean is, is that I can find my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night without running into a wall.

Anyway, all this box unpacking has made me reflect on my favorite spaces. I'm still getting to acquaint myself with all this newness, so I'm not sure I can define a "favorite" space in my home yet, but I will say that I really love not sharing a bathroom with my kids anymore. I'm also a fan of my office--even though I can't locate anything in that wonderfully chaotic room. It's thick with books and stories and projects just waiting to be attempted. I walk in and feel the possibilities of creation.

Tall bookshelves line one long wall. My desk faces the window. Baskets filled with office supplies fill more than a few shelves. Behind me, sits my piano. When I get frustrated or hit a block, I play for a while and maintain that playing the piano is way cheaper than therapy. My daughter's harps, which sit next to the piano, sometimes reverberate with echos when I play too loud. I often imagine an angel (or two) playing a duet with me.

The walls are a deep deep grey; the color of the sky in Montreal just before it rains on a Spring morning. When I work in that room I imagine myself soaking up all of the energy of that dark sky and funneling it into my head and out my heart.
I love that room.

What's your favorite space?

8 comments:

  1. My favourite space is definitely my regular table at the cafe I go to have breakfast in every Saturday. There's nothing quite like being a "regular" where they know your name and your order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the office sounds nice and I wish I could play the piano, it certainly sounds like good therapy to play it. the sound itself must pretty fun to hear.

    my favorite space is my bedroom/studio as I spent a lot of time there. although I there's really no studio, it's really just a desk that I pretend it's a studio.

    hope you're enjoying fall & doing a lot of wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A studio can be in any space! How lovely!

      Delete
  3. Oh. Oh. Your description of the paint colour, 'the color of the sky in Montreal just before it rains on a Spring morning,' is incredibly lovely. So evocative. Makes me sigh in a happy way. You are such a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what my favorite place is. Yesterday between my shifts at work, I would have said "Bed. Now please." and right now, my favorite place would be in a hot bath with a good book to read while I relax. When I go to sleep, I'll probably say my boyfriend's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok to have a few different spaces! I love that there are a few spaces that are speacial to you!

      Delete